I have been going to the fair my whole life, and if you are finally taking the plunge to check out what the fuss is all about, here are 5 tips to help make it the best day ever!
- Use a Park and Ride lot. The ones near the fair are free, and it not only saves you money, but also time and sanity as the traffic is always crazy near the fairgrounds.
- Eat breakfast before you leave. I know that you are excited to eat ALL THE FOOD at the fair, but you don’t know how long it will take you to actually get in the gate and get the first food in your mouth, so think of the breakfast as your “base camp” to your gastrointestinal journey.
- Sharing is caring! If you are with a group, just have one person buy an item and pass it around! It will save you money, and keep your stomach less full, so you don’t want to hibernate after eating a bucket of cheese curds by yourself. Think of it like grazing as you walk. Ok, I just made it sound like we are cows, but you get the idea!
- Bring Ziplock Bags / Wet wipes / Water bottles / Sunscreen (and all those other mom things that I didn’t think of). It’s good to have a backpack with some extra space too, in case you pick up a bunch of the free stuff every booth is handing out.
- Take breaks by watching one of the many free shows. The fair is overwhelming at first, so remember this – it’s a marathon, not a sprint. When you need a break, you’ll probably be near a stage that has live entertainment. Or the nearest bench to you will provide top-notch people watching. Don’t be afraid to sit and enjoy the throng of humanity that is the Minnesota State Fair!